Monday, February 26, 2007

Blown Away

Yesterday I thought about posting a book review that I wrote several years ago on an out-of-print book called Handbook for Itinerant and Resource Teachers of Blind and Visually Impaired Students. But before posting it, I decided to check out the availability on Amazon. Yep, there it was; but I was blown away by the prices! The starting price was $174.09. This is a used-book-seller's dream. I bought this book several years ago for probably about twenty or thirty dollars. If I could sell my copy now, the money would pay for my son's math curriculum for next year. This was very tempting. Okay, I admit, it was more than tempting. I listed the book...but only for about an hour, until I went in to Amazon and removed the listing. First of all, if I am going to sell a book to help people teach visually impaired students, I don't want to take that kind of advantage of supply and demand. If this were a fiction book or a non-fiction book in another field, I would have no qualms. But in this field, I would feel like I was price-gouging. Secondly, as my son pointed out to me, "I thought you WANTED the book." Oh yes, good point. I do want to keep my book. If ever I don't, I will feel my way around to the best option for selling or sharing or trading it.

In the meantime, I am not going to post the book review at this time, because I think there are better options for homeschoolers, many of whom are living on "one-income in a two-income economy", as they say. My next post will be about an ebook written specifically about homeschooling your blind or visually impaired student.

No comments: