Sunday, March 4, 2007

About Me

In October of 2002, something life-changing happened in our family. Our youngest son suddenly could not see very well. Usually a worrier, I wasn't worried this time. My husband needed glasses from his youth, and so did my Dad. I simply made an appointment with the optometrist and didn't think much more about it...until the optometrist found no lenses that would help, and yet could find nothing wrong. In the meantime, my son's vision was becoming progressively worse.

To make a long story short, it turned out that my son had something we had never heard of before, called Leber's Hereditary Optic Neuropathy, which caused him to become legally blind, and for which there is no cure or treatment.

Thus began a journey of discovery. I began to wonder if I should put my son in public school so that he could get special services that I wasn't trained to give him. But I had been homeschooling for many years and it was not an option I would give up lightly.

Along the way, many wonderful individuals have helped us, and we have received information and support from many organizations. During the past several years, money has been an issue, as well, so I have sought economical ways to teach. I've begun this blog in order to share with you some of the things I've learned and some of the new things I am delighted to discover.

If you have something you would like to share, you are welcome to let me know about it, either through the Comments or by posting an email to me at margmary53@yahoo.com

1 comment:

blind_schoolb said...

I attended ISB.

http://inblindschool.blogspot.com/