Thursday, March 8, 2007

More on Charlotte Mason

Yesterday I posted about using Charlotte Mason methods of education for teaching a visually impaired student. Today I wanted to give you more about it. So I went to a website. Lo and behold, one thing they were saying was that some people use Charlotte Mason methods "more or less", but they think you should you use them "more and more". Well, confession time: I myself have used Charlotte Mason methods "more or less".

In a busy quest to get on with my son's education, I picked up some of the methods that suited our needs. As I said yesterday, some of these were reading to him - and having him listen to tapes - at a higher comprehension level than he himself could read, having him do oral narrations, and having him do short passages of copywork. I think you would call my methods "eclectic" - with a generous portion of Charlotte Mason education ladled in...

If you would like to read more about Charlotte Mason education by those who think you should use it "more and more", you can do so at Ambleside Online. They have also very generously supplied lists of books to use in giving a child a Charlotte Mason education.

If you happen to be Catholic, like yours truly, you can find lists of suggested Charlotte Mason-type curriculum at Mater Amabilis.

No comments: